Bandier scholarship fundraiser to honor, continue Gregg Allman’s legacy

Courtesy of Ed Gorham

Taz Niederauer will perform on Saturday night for the fundraiser. A 15-year-old from Long Island, Niederauer starred in the “School of Rock” musical on Broadway and was featured in NBC’s production of “Jesus Christ Superstar.”

Before he died, music legend Gregg Allman helped set up a scholarship for music industry hopefuls at Syracuse University.

The scholarship, which provides financial assistance to one student in the Bandier Program at SU per year, will live on with events such as the one this weekend at The Ridge in Chittenango. The fundraiser will start at 5 p.m. on Sept. 22 and will feature tribute acts from 15-year-old jazz artist Taz Niederauer and rock artist Jamie Notarthomas.

The event was organized by Ed Gorham, senior director of development at the S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications. Gorham said he originally got involved with fundraising for the scholarship because of his love for the Allman Brothers Band and his personal passion as a guitarist.

The Allman Brothers Band is considered one of the rock ‘n’ roll greats and was inducted to its Hall of Fame in 1995. In 2012, the group was honored with a Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award. Some of their top hits include “Ramblin’ Man” and “Midnight Rider.”

But Gorham’s involvement in the Bandier Program is what connected him with Michael Lehman, an SU parent and Allman’s former manager. Since Allman’s death, Lehman has also been working to keep the scholarship funded by organizing two large-scale tribute performances, Gorham said.

Today, Lehman and Gorham are working together through events like the fundraiser. When the two were looking for a venue for the next event, Gorham said The Ridge made the most sense.

“We’ve become known, not only as a music venue, but in the world of musicians, as a safe-haven,” said Melinda Sarkus, owner of The Ridge. “We’ve always made it a point to make musicians feel appreciated and put their experience as center as the audience.”

Sarkus said she was happy to support the SU program, especially since it prepares young people for a harsh industry. The business side of the music industry is, in some ways, the most difficult to get right, she said.

“Musicians can struggle because they don’t have the right support system,” Sarkus said.

That sentiment was echoed by Taz Niederauer, who will be performing on Saturday night. A 15-year-old from Long Island, Niederauer starred in the “School of Rock” musical on Broadway and was featured in NBC’s production of “Jesus Christ Superstar.”

He’ll be traveling from New York City with the rest of his band for the show. Niederauer said he’s excited to connect with new music lovers and appreciates events with a wide age range.

“The fact that I’m using music and all of my band members are using music to help one kid get an education in music and potentially work in the music industry … It’s really humbling,” Niederauer said.

Presale tickets are available online for $20, and day-of tickets will be available for $25. Students and military members are eligible for discounted prices at $15.